Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just a Little Something

Are we ever satisfied with what we have and how our life currently is?  Is it possible for us to ever be satisfied?  If our satisfaction comes from seeking more excitement, more money, more recognition, more love, we will come out on the other side unsatisfied and frustrated.  Apart from God, seeking these worldly things, we will not find meaning in our lives.  After we seek aimlessly after worldly wisdom and turn our lives over to pleasures and folly, are we left fulfilled?  While these things might give us temporary enjoyment, the results are temporary and leave us seeking more.

Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 says:
10I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
            I refused my heart no pleasure.
My heart took delight in all my work,
            and this was the reward for all my labor.
11Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
            and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
            nothing was gained under the sun.

            Seeking wisdom can open the eyes of the one seeking, but worldly wisdom will not give us life’s ultimate meaning.  Everything we seek to accomplish and toil over will on day pass from our hands.  What is the point of toiling for all these things and in these ways if in the end it will pass away from us?  Ultimately, we must realize that joy and happiness can only be found through and in God, not through and in what we do and accomplish without Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment